Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Family's Trip To Monhegean Island





Every year my family and I pack our bags, and fly up north to Maine for three weeks. There, we spend our days on a little island called Monhegean. On Monheagan the islanders don't use cars. We walk everywhere.Because we go back there every year (my parents have been going for about 20 years and my great Aunt and Uncle even longer) we have acquired quite a few friends, both islanders and vacationers alike. My brother and his friend Taylor set up jobs at one of the local inns as "bell boys" earning money while caring people's luggage up to their rooms.








On Monhegean we hike, swim (in freeezing cold waters, brrrr), pick wild berries and make pie! Many plants grow wild on Monhegean such as: rubbarb, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries (the wild ones are soooo small!), blackberries, and service berries.
While on the island my brothers and I take advantage of our dad being a Marine Biologist and explore all the way from the tide pools to the cliffs, asking him many questions along the way.







Overall Monhegean is the best vacation place on Earth. It has something for everybody: views, local and famous resident artists, lobster, fresh berries, ocean, fairy house building in the Cathedral Woods (local tradition) and cute little shops such as "The Black Duck" and "The Barnacle."

I love Monhegean!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment