Thursday, March 3, 2011

We Accept Our Failure...

Thanks to Mr. Harrelson for being so supportive. :) I'm just disappointed that he didn't let me know that he wanted a horizontal view. That could have been easily added! Even today in class...

But it's okay, I remember once asking in class if we should cut a hole on the side so we could have a horizontal view as well, but I guess I didn't voice that loud enough. Either way it was a fantastic experience and so I would like to thank everyone for all of the hard work you have put into this project. Next time I guess we'll just have to place cameras all around the edges so as not to disappoint anyone. It's ok though, I'm sure my teammates stand beside we when I say that we will graciously accept our defeat and that next time we will just have to try harder. I wish to congratulate Anders, Collin, David, Christian, "and others who have helped them along the way (all of 2nd Period)," I solute you and your efforts to do the impossible and send a sturdy CAN-tainer into space.

So tomorrow when that CAN-tainer launches into the crystal-clear sky above I may cry, but only tears of joy for the fact that we- a simple bunch of 8th graders, their piers, and one amazing science teacher, with the support of Spartanburg Day School at our backs- have done something not many people can say they have done. We will have launched a container into the realm of space, the black void above our heads, that encircles our lives.

Not if, but when that container lands we will no doubt be among one of the first schools in the history of the world to launch a homemade container and parachute into space!

And so let me announce that I am proud of our failures, our setbacks, our accomplishments, and our discoveries; together we have learned more about ourselves, the world around us, and the space beyond our bubble-of-atmosphere than we could have ever learned divided.

It may not be my place to say this, (because it was not my container chosen) but know this: when that CAN-tainer goes up tomorrow it will be an accomplishment for all of us in the 8th grade at Spartanburg Day School- or really an accomplishment for everyone at the Day School. This is because without their support, guidance, and duck-tape we would not be standing on that field tomorrow sending our hard work and determination-to-succeed embodied in our duck-tape wrapped package into the dark void-of-space beyond the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment